Friday, November 21, 2014

Laser Beams

Dear Ellie,

Yesterday we took a beleaguering trip down to the exotic, foreign country of Miami and braved suicidal motorists so that we could shoot your face with laser beams.  Okay... so maybe this adventure requires some explanation.

Back when you were in the NICU, the endo-tracheal tube and CPAPs that were helping you to breath were often attached to your face with tape.



Because preemie skin is so sensitive, that tape caused considerable irritation.  When the tape was removed, it appeared as though you had a cluster of little white pimples on the right side of your face near your mouth.  We were assured that they would go away soon, to our skepticism, and indeed they didn't go away.  It even got worse, scarring a bit, and left a nice a red spot in the shape of an eyebrow on your cheek.  It's not a big deal when you get down to it.  When all was said and done, we had expected you to have numerous scars after the ordeal of your first 4 months.  When you were first born, I would have gladly traded 10 such cosmetic scars for the health outcome you've achieved today, yet the only other real scar you have is on your forearm, from your first blood transfusion.  I suppose we should be grateful.  Still, your mother and I thought it would be hard for a little girl to grow up with a big scar on her face, so we took you to a special dermatologist in the great Latin American country of Miami.  The practice specialized in cosmetic surgery involving lasers, and while I insisted to your mother that I could probably generate similar results with my trusty laser pointer without having to spend a lot of money, she assured me that these were entirely different kinds of lasers.

Indeed, when we took you in for the procedure, the process only took a literal 3 seconds.  There were 3 or 4 fast, cartoony sounding "zaps" accompanied by intense flashes of light, followed by lots and lots of belly aching from our Ellie Belly.  It's my impression that the lasers destroy damaged tissue so that new tissue can regrow in its place, and since you are still youthful and stretchy, we're told that the scar should barely be noticeable by the end of treatment.  For now, that dull red spot has become a bright red spot for the next few days!

You still have the scar on your arm, and in a weird sort of way, I'm glad its still there.  I'd like you to always understand how fortunate you are to be alive, and that scar will always be a good reminder.

4 comments:

  1. When I first started reading I thought, "Oh no! Her eyes!" A lil ol' scar? Pfft...no biggie (yeah, tell THAT to a teenage girl!) So happy to read all the progress Ellie is making. She's too cute for words, and such a little treasure.
    ~Debby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, it really is such a trivial little thing, but our reasoning was the same as yours. To a teenage girl, it's the end of the world.

      Delete
  2. Ellie is just adorable (but, you already know that). I am so glad to see her doing so well. I have no doubt she will treasure everything you are writing for her when she is older.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Krystal. I was just thinking of you and your boys the other day (when I swung by your blog.) So happy to see your pregnancy so far along! I can't wait to read your post in 13 weeks :-)

      Delete