Wednesday, March 19, 2014

You Look Ridiculous...ly cute.




Dear Ellie,

Last night, you tried out that whole clothing-wearing-thing.  I'm not sure why people do it, but I just go along with it to be polite.  For you, it's a rather important development because once preemies graduate to clothing, it means they are mature enough to regulate their own temperature.  Unfortunately, unless we were to raid the toy store and purchase doll clothing, nothing could fit you.  So we just had to go with "big kid clothes" (aka, regular preemie clothes).  I know this picture doesn't really show the extent of the ridiculousness, but the footies were big enough to fit your entire calf.  I suppose the glass-half-full perspective would be that there is plenty of room for you to grow into.  Now, getting you into the outfit was another story.  It took me about 3 minutes to slip your arm in because you kept clutching the inside of the sleeve every time I tried to pull your hand through.  It was like trying to force a cat into the shower.  Once I finally succeeded, you immediately blew out your diaper and soiled the entire onesie... so we started all over again with a new one.    

I think you'll get used to the whole clothes thing eventually.  While I don't get why its so important, Mark Twain pretty much summarized why clothes are necessary: "Clothes make the man.  Naked people have little to no influence in today's society."

8 comments:

  1. Ellie,

    Your hat looks like something that Auntie Andy would wear.

    You are ridiculously cute. Just don't ever let your parents put one of those little baby girl headbands on your head. I suspect your Mom would never allow that to happen :)

    Love,

    Grandma Smith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I agree, no baby head bands! She looks cozy. A friend of mine said she was in the baby store and found some 3-5 lb preemie clothes, and I thought of checking it out, but I have a feeling she is going to out grow it pretty fast with her appetite. Love you Ellie
      Auntie Andy

      Delete
    2. Rani specified that, in fact, those WERE preemie clothes. Whoa. So apparently Ellie didn't fit into them properly either :-)

      Delete
  2. Tonight- am loving every single word of your post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe they used a zipper sleeper! The button ones work much better with all the lead lines etc. So adorable and she is growing so well! We have a photo of my son drowning in a preemie sleeper and progressive photos of him filling it out until at 1 year old he is sitting next to it making the sleeper look tiny! Babies R Us, and Walmart are the easier places to find preemie clothes, sometimes Target at the right times. Carter's stores too. Target has a new baby spring line out and there were some preemie onsies that I wanted to buy just because they were so adorable (yellow and ducks)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Grandma Smith has happily already found online 2 preemie outfits that open in the front:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw! I remember both of my babies in their preemie sleepers. They were enormous at first! But once they grew into them, they grew right back out of them so fast! I saved all of their NICU stuff and their preemie clothes to show them when they're bigger. They're 15 months and 6 weeks right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah ha, so looks like your 6 weeker will be getting all of the hand me downs :-) And yes, so true, that little sleeper became antiquated before we knew it! We look at it now and blink in disbelief.

      Delete